By Tasha M. Troy
Today – March 1 – is my birthday.
And for the past several years, I’ve viewed this day as more of a new year’s day, seeing January 1 as more of a “warm up” for my goals.
As I’ve gotten older, I’ve also become increasingly reflective on my birthday:
- Is my life headed in the right direction? Am I happy with my current direction?
- Or do I feel a draw in a different direction? Is it time to “pull up stakes” and move to “new territory”?
- Are there minor course corrections I need to make?
- Am I investing my time, money, and energy in the right places, with the right organizations and relationships?
- What am I learning? What do I want to learn? What do I need to learn? Where can I learn it?
Two years ago, these reflections launched me into an incredible new season, a spiritual renewal unlike any I’d experienced previously that continues even today. This brought about a huge shift in my life in several areas:
- I began journaling my dreams and learning how to interpret what God might be speaking to me as I sleep.
- I began writing a blog about communication skills.
- I joined the John Maxwell Team and started a journey to establishing my own business.
- I met a wild group of people collectively known as JHOP (The Justice House of Prayer) and discovered my “tribe.”
Last year was an intense year of learning, instead of what I expected it to be – a year of launching into new things. When I went through my (now) annual end-of-December review, it was clear to me I’d been focused on the wrong things, and I knew wanted to make some big shifts in direction. Now, two months into 2016, is a good time to check on those shifts.
I’m happy to report that today I am happy with my direction overall. Of course, there are always adjustments that need to be made, but I’m certain I’m now headed in the right direction, and my focus is continuing to become clearer and clearer. There is still much for me to learn, but at least now I am more aware of what exactly I need to learn.
Looking Ahead to 2016
As usual, I have big plans for this year. It is only in evaluating the past year – but not dwelling there – that I am enabled to confidently move forward towards all that God has planned for me.
Take It Deeper
Do you have a reflection and review process? How often do you reflect on your life direction?
If you would like to go deeper on this topic, I hold free exploratory coaching sessions on Fridays. You can register online at Troy Communications or email me to schedule an appointment at TMTroy@TroyCommunications.Net