I am starting a series on a topic that impacts every relationship – conflict resolution.
In this TED Talk, William Ury shares from his experiences as a conflict mediator and presents his approach to resolving some of the most difficult conflicts in our world.
I may not fully agree when he says that Abraham represents hospitality, but I do agree that when we focus on those things that unite us rather than those things that divide us, conflict resolution becomes much more possible.
In the weeks ahead, I will explore the five conflict handling styles described by Ken Thomas and Ralph Kilmann, which are:
- competitive – I must win this argument
- avoiding – I’d rather not deal with this
- accommodating – You can have it your way
- collaborative – Let’s see if we can find a creative solution
- compromising – Let’s meet in the middle